Friday, September 7, 2007

Habia una vez...

Hola majos,

Yo no creo que hace solo una semana de nos llegamos en Salamanca...parace que para siempre
And thats in a good way! One week ago yesterday we were camped on the floor in one of the most potentially awkward situations ever---meeting your classmates in an international terminal a couple of hours before flying off to Spain. Honestly it feels like a year ago and already this awesome city (and 18 calle Pedro Cojos) is starting to feel like home.

This past week has been"muy preoccupado". We've had "reunions" at the Colby center, gelato and "postre" dates, "tapas" en la Plaza Mayor and movie night con "palomitos" (we've started a tradition-peliculas on Diana's laptop every Wednesday night). Oh and classes por supuesto....

I can't help but brag a bit about my campus. Sure Colby itself is beautiful (as so many of your teeny New England campuses are) but it is strange to space out during classes and see a cathedral older than the United States by at least 800 years.

Although San Boal (the building where I have classes) is very new, the majority of the buildings are made from the "conchas" of an ancient sea and still reflect the "deco Catholica" before the fairly modern architectural separation of church and state.

Besides this architectural background, I spend four hours a day studying Spanish--grammar, culture, and art. My classes are difficult enough to be interesting and my teachers Clara y Bogona are great (just for the record books if Toni and Bogona got in a fight, Begona would win!) After classes I go home to lunch of paella (yellow rice, shrimp and mussels) with my wonderful family Pilar, Maria (mi abuela) and two other students from Taiwan and Japan. And 'entonces' my favorite part of the day....SIESTA!

Although a siesta is built into a typical Spaniards day (up at 11, lunch at 2:30, siesta, dinner at 9, and then bed around 2 am) our three hour American style naps are far more generous than the cultural norm. But hey, who's complaining?!

Es bastante por ahora. Tomorrow begins the annual feista de Salamanca, a week long celebration packed full of fireworks, live concerts, tapas, y "toros," and Im going to need my sleep! Estoy emocionado!!!

Hasta luego!
Aleah

3 comments:

Allie Francis said...

Pretty much absolutely wondrously amazing Aleah! :-)

loveeee

Allie

Jessie said...

I miss you. You better come home, or at least to Northampton to see me.

Caroline said...

I'm jealous of your naps.

I miss you!

xoxcaroline.